Friday, August 31, 2007

Computer Years (as in doggie years)

Doggie years are commonly calculated as 7:1 to human years. Kitty years are less straight forward, as they age rapidly at first and then slow way down.

My thinking is that computers and software can be similarly generalized with respect to their life expectancy. Here's my formula for Computer years:

  • 16:1 for the first 5 years
  • 3:1 thereafter

That would make a system that is three years old 48, 5 years old would be 80. 10 years old, 95.

Since I have created a few major and minor systems and pieces of software that have lived very long lives, I would like their ages considered with these benchmarks.

Even as many things I have done have lived much longer than I expected (10-11 years in some cases), there also has been an alarmingly high infant mortality rate!

No comments:

Post a Comment