Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Monday, August 24, 2009
I needed to run the stsadm command preparetomove with the oldcontentdb switch (at least I thought I did) for a database that I wanted to restore in our testing environment. Running this command is supposed to fix sync issues when moving databases around.
Although there probably is a more efficient way to query the database (maybe a config database?) to get the database GUID, there is an ID parameter on some URL's. So I added the content database in Central Admin. After that you can take the ID from the URL for that database like so:
Then you can run the command:
C:\>stsadm -o preparetomove -contentdb servername:databasename -oldcontentdb F6FD3F98-1044-4728-8C6D-2A22140FFC13
Operation completed successfully.
You can see that a couple characters get stripped from the beginning and end (%7B and %7D) and the "%2D" are the dashes.
I've done restores without cleaning it up this way but I figured it's time to start doing it the right way.
Saturday, August 08, 2009
When I loaded the Windows 7 RC on my studio PC (AKA the litterbox PC) I didn't think I would be able to upgrade to RTM. I thought that I would have to do a clean install. As it turns out, there is a simple procedure to allow an upgrade.
If you try to just upgrade form the RC or a beta, you get a message that you cannot do that, but there also is a little link that will take you to some instructions. Basically, you copy the install media somewhere and edit ..\sources\civersion.ini so that it reads:
Yesterday morning I dowloaded the RTM DVD from MSDN (it took around an hour - not bad), and in the late afternoon I ran the installation. I received warnings that iTunes should be deactivated (shocker there, that this peria would have a problem) and that there were two driver issues. For the drivers, I disabled the one device (one of the multiple disc controllers on this fancy-schmancy Gigabyte motherboard, and one I am not using) and I just plowed ahead on the other (the Edirol FA-101, about which I was confident things would be OK since I read it in such a fine blog).
Once again, Windows installer had maybe one more click, and then said I should just sit back and watch. It took a bit longer to run than the original amazing install of 20 minutes, and I could only watch the first 15 or 20 minutes because I was doing the whole thing via remote desktop! After the first reboot, it was another 20 minutes or so before I was able to RDP back in, activate Windows, and resume my BitTorrent seeding and whatnot.
Kudos to the many smart people at Microsoft who put together such a solid installation system for an incredibly complex piece of software. My cat thinks it is the most advanced desktop operating system in the world, but what does she know. In a couple weeks they should be releasing R2 for Windows Server 2008 for us MSDN subscribers. This is what I use for my desktop OS at work, and I think IT will be the most advanced desktop operating system in the world.