Thursday, December 13, 2018

Review of my new HP Spectre x360 13t Computer

This is the review I posted on HP's site for my new PC. It's a nice less-than-3lb laptop with a 4 core i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD and a 4k screen. Not too shabby.

"I expected solid performance from a 4 core i7, 16 GB RAM, a TB SSD, etc. Windows Pro was installed as it should be, and without too much junk (I uninstalled the Norton anti-virus virus and the Microsoft Office things and installed a stand alone Office). It runs real well, but it does not exceed my expectations in any category, so far. That may change in the long haul.

I liked the keyboard when I tried this out and I still do. The touch pad and screen are OK. The screen seems a little warm - yellow. Scaling usually works, but sometimes an icon or text or graphic won't get scaled to a size you can see. The recommended 300% scaling is about right - anything smaller and the few items that don't scale right are too small to control.

The computer can get warm in your lap, but not hot - it is acceptable. The weight is OK.
I hoped the built in audio would be better, but it is quite weak. I'm not talking about the speakers, but the Realtek chip set, which doesn't seem to support any high sampling rates or even 24 bit analog to digital. This is not in any way a high definition audio device.

I've had it not wake up correctly several times already, where I had to hard reboot it. This still seems to be a problem with Windows machines - wake up! Battery life seems pretty weak (I have a 4k screen). I don't think I could get a day's work out of a charge. Also, as expected.

I'm going to have to use this for a long time. I hope it does not disappoint. So far, just OK."

No comments:

Post a Comment