Friday, March 06, 2009

Live Recording With the Zoom H2 (Part Two)

See also Part 1

My second recording with the H2 was a bit of a clandestine affair. Instead of bringing a mic stand to the show, I used the very nice, discrete black cloth bag that comes with the H2. This particular venue is a pretty laid back club - no strip search, metal detectors, etc. and I recorded there many times with my Rockbox. But sometimes it's best to take a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

So the little, thin bag that comes with the H2 fits loosely on the device. It is acoustically transparent, so once I set levels, I simply left the bag on the table pointed towards the stage. I had recorded in this club many times so I knew that the best place to sit is right by the sound board. 

The recording came out far better than expected. Usually this room has a very boxy sound to it - there is nothing that can be done, it's a very boxy room. In this case the recording is much better than any previous I had made. Again, the mics pick up nicely and the 24 bit digital sounds smooth.

I am convinced the H2 was a good choice. I have several big shows coming up (check my calendar) so I hope to give it a workout. 

No comments:

Post a Comment