Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Robert Gordon and Chris Spedding at the Beachland

I have been going around saying that there weren't enough shows going on in Cleveland this winter, but maybe all I had to do was open my eyes. I nearly missed a great one this Saturday at the Beachland. Robert Gordon and Chris Spedding are so important to Rockabilly and yet I almost missed it.

Once I realized I was going to go to this I started getting psyched by playing the only two things I had of Roberts - the first Link Wray thing (on vinyl, of course) and a King Biscuit of the two of them from the late seventies. By showtime I was ready.

With no opener, the "7:30 doors/8:30 show" didn't start until after 9:30. I got there 8ish (it was a nasty weather evening, as they all have been - snow and ice and cold) and got a seat right by the mixing desk. Schoolboy was there with his Zoom H2 just sitting on the table in the little acoustically transparent black bag that comes with the Zoom. That worked out just fine for the whole evening.

This rockabilly revival with a brit twist (Chris) worked beautifully. Robert did a set, Chris did a nice set in the middle (doing fine vocals, tasty guitar, etc.) and then Robert did another set. The band was just Robert and Chris with a bass plus drums rhythm section (electric bass only, and I was a little disappointed in that). The band was well rehearsed - they do a great show.

The Beachland crowd was a lively one. Mixed ages in the 25-60 range - I would say average in the 40's, though. After the show I met with Robert and Chris. They were very gracious, but Chris seemed pretty tired. 

Schoolboy's recording is outstanding - easily the best Beachland recording I have heard. The Zoom did well. At 24 bit 96 kHz, the show took up around 3.7 GB. That high resolution gives it a smooth sound and the great mic capsules in the Zoom perform well. Nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment