Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Work Around Shmerkaround - View by Date, Newest First - Use the ID Field

Today I had to do something simple and I couldn't remember if I had done it before or not (it sure seems like I had). I needed to make a document library view that shows the newest documents first.

It seemed to me like this was a simple to do thing but that I had employed some trick in the past. Memory told me I had to use a calculated field. For some reason, I remembered wrong. Or not how to do it. In a document library, the modified field is not available for calculations (or sorting). Since I couldn't calculate on it but I thought I could, I did what we all do, I looked around for an answer. I found lots of bad answers and questions in blogs.

Next I just dug in and improvised, and found a simple solution. The ID field is sequential and thus was usable for a created order and it is sortable. A simple work-around-ish solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment