Monday, July 28, 2008

Fairport Lighthouse Triathlon July 27, 2008

Back when I ran marathons I got into quite a rut. Although I had traveled to some out of town races, I found it very easy to simply do Cleveland's in May, Erie's Eriesistable Marathon in September and the Toe to Tow (Towpath) Marathon in October. I think I did those same three races six years in a row. That's the definition of a rut.

Towards the end of my marathoning days I started doing the Fairport Lighthouse Triathlon. I have now done that race something like 10 out of the last 11 years. But it never feels like a rut. It is always exciting!

It never ceases to be amazed me how comfortably I can complete this race with little or no training. Yesterday was no exception. I went in worried (I had swam that distance once in 2008 and rode bike the distance only once, and never had I combined events). I have been running a little more lately, upping my puny mileage a bit.

I didn't worry about much else. I was forced to stick new tires on my bike on Friday, but that was an improvement. The race went very smoothly for me. I swam strong, biked strong and ran OK. I don't really keep very good track of my times on this race from year to year - they are always about the same.

Two of my close colleagues from the firm were also doing the race, making it that much more fun. Mona Lombardi, who also did this race last year, improved her time substantially. Jean Ference flew in from New York to do the race (bringing her bike on the plane!). She took second place in her age group. Jean just whizzed by me on the bike! I am honored to be in the company of these athletic women!

The race is one of Lake County, Ohio's best kept secrets. It may be run simply and the old fashioned way, but it works. It is a beautiful setting and the weather is almost always perfect. Yesterday was gorgeous. 168 men and 100 women participated. Since Jean won an award we stuck around for the ceremony. Check out the photo album - click on the photo-link (I will add a few more in a couple days).

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:24 AM

    Jean here. I really enjoyed this race on a beautiful summer day on the shores of Lake Erie. It was so nice not to be swimming in salt water which is the norm for me when I race in the environs of New York's Long Island where I live. The competition was great, the beautiful course was nice and flat, and doing the race with friends was so much fun! Bob and Mona kicked butt!

    I hope to be here next year as I move up an age group to be with the "old" ladies, who I will totally SMOKE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:48 PM

    I concur!!! What an excellent day to prove that you are not old enough or wise enough to forego great physical abuse! Join us next year as my hopes for a medal will improve with Jean moving out of our current age group.

    ReplyDelete