Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Virtualizing - Part 1

Be sure to read the other parts of this series (because it changes a lot!):
http://bobklass.blogspot.com/2008/02/virtualizing-sharepoint-part-deux.html
http://bobklass.blogspot.com/2008/02/sharepoint-virtualization-numero-drei.html


Hopefully it won't be a misnomer to call this part 1, but at this point I really don't have a lot of hard info, just my thoughts. Later, when we've tried it, I'll add more (we all hope, right?).

If you think about how the Sharepoint components work, it is easy to rule out SQL and indexers for virtualization (at least for a large farm, as we are deploying). That leaves web front ends, query servers and application servers (Excel, Infopath). We have run our farm with query server and web front end combined. The applications will be new to us very soon.

So for us, the low risk trial will be to use the (very beefy) virtuals for applications. This especially makes sense since these are processor intensive. With WFE's, there is too much risk of underperformance. What if the cache reads are too slow? We can't have it not work well.

So I am advocating that we proceed this way.

I've been lax with my posts as I try to rest my right arm - too many mouse clicks. Very painful. I'll be back!

Check out part deux.

No comments:

Post a Comment